On Mar 18, 2010, at 3:13 PM, J.C. Roberts wrote:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:25:35 -0400 daniel <d...@redmountainfarm.net>
wrote:

Well, after _way_ too much messing around, I've determined that the
mini-pci slot on _my_ (at least) Net 4501 is pretty much useless.
Both a new Wistron CM9 and an OEM Intersil Prism (pgt) (taken from an
SMC barricade) fail. Don't quote me on these numbers, but the CM9
will draw something like 430ma and the pgt something like 290ma and
they both behave the same way. I tried OpenBSD 4.6 (release and patch
branch) and 4.7 (various snaps): the cards, once configured and/or
are connected to, cause the kernel to spew errors on the console
continually and won't stop until a reboot. I'm assuming they are
starved for current. Apparently other people have gotten mini-pci
wlan cards to work in their Net 4501s, but not me.

I'm making my employer buy me a TimeCapsule that I'll put behind my
Net 4501 for now. In the future, I'll have to investigate other
options like a Net 5501 or even one of the nice RouterBoards
mentioned here recently.

Thanks to all who chimed in.

Daniel

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=CM9&q=b
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=126891871332534&w=2

Though it could be your choice of mini-pci devices, if there really is a
problem in your Sokris (such as the slot really is starved of power),
then talk to Sokris about it. They'll want to know one way or another
about a potential defect and could lead you through proper testing.

J.C., thanks. I agree that it is probably my choice of mini-pci devices;
I believe that mini-pci wlan cards do exist that would work in the Net
4501--I've even read of people using their Net 4501s in this way. I've
posted on the Soekris list so Soekris can comment on this if they are so
inclined. But given that this is a one-off, hobby-ish situation, the Net
4501's design is 8+ years old, mine is perhaps 5 years old and I would
need to hunt down and try several different wlan cards, I'm not inclined
to pursue this any further.