Hi,

On Fri, 02.04.2010 at 15:50:36 +0200, Paul de Weerd <we...@weirdnet.nl> wrote:
> What do you mean "the new kernel won't boot" ?

I mean that, for whatever reason, the kernel does not reach full
multi-user capabilities within some timeout (say, 5 minutes).

> there, the bootloader will automagically try /bsd. So if you have 'set
> image mybsd' in your /etc/boot.conf (which is frowned upon, mind you;
> certain things assume that your kernel is always /bsd) and /mybsd is

A _bad_ assumption, imho, but see below. I'll probably try to figure
out why this is deemed to be a good idea. No need to repeat last year's
discussion about it, which I didn't follow close enough to fully
understand the issue.

> May seem like a nice idea at first, but it doesn't sound very portable
> to me.

Ok... then I should probably try to figure out how to boot OpenBSD by
non-BSD-supplied boot loaders (eg. grub).

> The boot.conf stuff is platform specific - a workaround for
> broken bioses. sparc64 machines, for example, just read the kernel
> image name from their boot configuration and load that, no boot.conf
> needed at all.

Understood. Thanks for the summary.

Kind regards,
--Toni++