Hiya all,

Could someone clarify for me the purpose of the bandwidth parameter when used
with hfsc? Please consider my queue (512Kb max upload through the ADSL line):

 altq on em1 bandwidth 500Kb hfsc queue { ack, dns, ssh, other }
  queue ack        bandwidth 95% priority 8 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime   20%)
  queue dns        bandwidth 95% priority 7 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime    5%)
  queue ssh        bandwidth 95% priority 6 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime   20%)
{ssh_login, ssh_bulk}
   queue ssh_login bandwidth 95% priority 6 qlimit 500 hfsc
   queue ssh_bulk  bandwidth 95% priority 5 qlimit 500 hfsc
  queue other      bandwidth 95% priority 5 qlimit 500 hfsc (realtime   20%
default)

My understanding was that "bandwidth xx%" tells pf that the queue can only use
xx% of the total parent queue bandwidth and the various guides on the Internet
say that it cannot go above 100% which sort of makes sense. However what I
want, for example, is the 'other' queue to get all the upload bandwidth as
long as there is no acks or ssh traffic in the queue. If I set bandwidth 20%
for other, won't that mean that no matter what, the 'other' queue will only
get a maximum of 20% of the bandwidth (even if there is no ssh traffic
waiting?)

I think I haven't quite understood this properly but perhaps someone could
clarify it. I found a lot out from calomel.org's excellent page but that's the
only bit that confused me.

Thanks