When using ypldap, if I

cd /var/yp
make

I am not able to regenerate the YP maps and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Here is what I get

# cd /var/yp
# make
===> foretell
couldn't find /etc/ethers
updated netid
yp_master: clnt_call: RPC: Can't decode result
yp_master: clnt_call: RPC: Can't decode result
yp_master: clnt_call: RPC: Can't decode result
.
.
YP server for domain foretell not responding, still trying
YP server for domain foretell not responding, still trying

Rebooting seems to regenerate the maps. I am saying that because if I add a user to the LDAP database and do a getent passwd I do not see it listed. If I reboot the test system and do a getent passwd, I see the user I added to LDAP before the reboot.

I tried yppoll as follows:

# yppoll -d foretell -h 127.0.0.1 passwd
yp_order: clnt_call: RPC: Procedure unavailable
No such map passwd. Reason: Can't communicate with ypbind

But ypbind is running and pf is off.

# rpcinfo -p
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100004    2   udp    806  ypserv
    100004    2   tcp   1009  ypserv
    100007    2   udp    874  ypbind
    100007    2   tcp    727  ypbind

Are commands like yptest usable when ypldap is used instead of ypserv? What else can I use to figure out where I have made a mistake?

I am unsure as to where to look for this type of information. When I try it, I get the following:

# yptest
Test 1: yp_match localhost hosts.byname
yp error: No such map in server's domain

Test 2: yp_first
yp error: No such map in server's domain

Test 3: yp_next

Test 4: yp_master
yp_master: clnt_call: RPC: Can't decode result
yp_master: clnt_call: RPC: Can't decode result
yp_master: clnt_call: RPC: Can't decode result

Any clues or help will be much appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Vijay

--
Vijay Sankar, M.Eng., P.Eng.