On 2010-05-07, Chris Bennett <ch...@bennettconstruction.biz> wrote:
> On 05/07/10 16:59, Frank Bax wrote:
>> I've never printed from my OpenBSD desktop.
>> I've used lpd on Windows to print to HP printers with "HP JetDirect".
>>
>> I read the recent thread about lpd/postscript.
>>
>> Will I be able to use lpd to print to any "HP JetDirect" printer?
>>
>> I'm looking at getting an HP 1518ni colour laser.
>>
>> Does "HP postscript level 3 emulation" qualify as "postscript support"

Yes, it does. You do not need any drivers for that printer as long as
you send only PostScript files. You are almost good to print with
default /etc/printcap file

lp|local line printer:\
:lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/output:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Just replace local line printer with the name of your printer and
/dev/lp with the device node to which printer is attached.

>> Frank
>>

> If your printer is postscript, LPRng + apsfilter is a simple way to
> install. It is also very lightweight.

Apsfilter works with LPR from the base as well. Unless he is planning
to install 500 printers which will be used by 5000 different users
following complex policies I see no advantage in installing LPRng.

Apsfilter is good magic filter which will allow him to forget about the
types of the files which he is sending to printer as it will
automatically call appropriate filter which will convert any files to
PostScript.

The same can be accomplished with much more modern program (foomatic
filter) in which case /etc/printcap will look something like

lp|Lj4L|HP Lj4L:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
        :af=/etc/foomatic/HP-LaserJet_4L-ljet4.ppd:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/foomatic-rip:\
        :sh:sd=/var/spool/output:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Obviously HP-LaserJet_4L-ljet4.ppd is PostScript description file which
can be generated with foomatic-fip but is also usually supplied by
manufacturers on the installation CD.

Cheers,
Predrag