On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Lars Nooden <lars.cura...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2010, Chris Smith wrote:
>>
>> What about logging in this case? Can PF logs be sent to another system
>> running a syslog daemon?
>
> You answered your own question. ;)  Look at the 'action' field explanation
> in the manual page for syslog.conf(5)
>
> About the diskless machine, many of the so-called diskless machines actually
> use flash or ssd instead of a spinning magnetic platter.  The base
> installation of openbsd is still quite small.  If you are only running PF,
> you will have a lot of space left over on a 1GB CF to make a logging
> partition.  Flash can be very slow, so volitile caches can be stored in an
> mfs partition.
>
> /Lars

OpenBSD will happily fit into about 160mb by installing only base and
etc which provide plenty for a firewall.  My 1.4GHz Toshiba laptop
acting as a wireless-wired gateway runs OpenBSD 4.6 on a 512mb USB
drive (which I'd like to replace with a CF disk on a 2.5" compatible
adapter) with space to spare.  Sure it doesn't do anywhere near as
many packets as you propose, but it handles a constantly-running
seedbox and my gaming together without skipping a beat, which is more
than I can ask for.

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse