On Thu, 6 May 2010 03:21:02 +0300
Jussi Peltola <pe...@pelzi.net> wrote:

> On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 07:27:46PM +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> > Of course, if it's your mail server and clients you can use ips without
> > dns have certficates tied to those ips and even block or monitor resets,
> > none of which can be done with starttls and it is also a smaller window
> > of opportunity. You can always reset the starttls too and man in the
> > middle that, just one less opportunity.
> >

> If it's your mail server and clients you can just force certificate
> checking on the hosts you want to connect to with tls. Using a different
> port adds no cryptographic security (authentication) at all, so it's
> useless complexity.

Sorry, been away, you can use authpf for authentication and
even a ssh tunnel for privacy.

The main points are that connecting via starttls is like waving a flag
saying I am going to connect again via ssl soon, when you could just
connect once, (less of a problem for OpenBSD connections). Also some
clients like iphones for example try ssl and fall back to plain. Using
a separate port also means a user has more options to be sure of a ssl
connection (desktop firewall, almost any mail client config etc.).

I was wondering what advantages does using port 25 alone have in the
light of reading Yahoo being criticised for not following the standard.

KeV