Maybe I'm getting on a bit, but I don't consider swapping operating system
to be the best option in that case. Vista may be a memory hog, but it's
usually easier in the long run to spend cash on 4GB for a laptop, than to
install and faff around with a whole new operating system..

Linux running out of space due to kernel upgrades is obviously a
configuration (hard disk partitioning) problem. Obviously I prefer BSD Unix
to Linux, but the evidence does suggest the wrong Linux distribution was
being used.