Matthew Dempsky wrote:
> SCSI scanners are marked "obsolete" at least as of the latest SCSI
> working drafts, and other than updates to keep in sync with other
> kernel subsystem changes, ss(4) doesn't seem to have received any real
> attention in about a decade.

I am a heavy scanner user and I think I used no less than a dozen of
various USB scanners with OpenBSD. However last year, I stumbled upon an
HP made SCSI scanner (I forgot the model). Since, I had an Sun Ultra 5
laying around I gave a shot. I discovered very quickly by reading
sane-backends man pages that support for several of HP SCSI model is
just a cheap hack which works only on Linux (driver expect device names,
driver names to be Linux). I gave up quickly since those things are
worthless anyway. You may get a solid USB scanner made by Epson in U.S.
for around $25.

Cheers,
Predrag