Dear All,

This is not really a question but rather an observation which I made
today and which could be very useful for desktop users. It concerns
use of scanners (even Windows only printers).

As we know the standard way to access scanners on OpenBSD is using
sane-backends drivers. They support a fair number of scanners
in particular better flat bad USB scanners. Some all-in-one devices
produced by Epson are also supported. Sane-backends are supposedly
supporting large number of HP made all-in-one devices via proprietary
hpaio library which is a part of HPLIP. Unfortunately HPLIP is written
with Linux only in mind and it works rather well on OpenBSD only due to
heroic effort of our developer Antoine Jacoutot. Luckily it turns out
that you do not need any software or drivers to scan with most HP
all-in-one device!

My wife has a HP Photosmart C5250 all-in-one. C5250 comes with several
readers for various types of flash memory cards commonly used by digital
cameras. If you press scan button the small menu pups up on the C5250
display with gives you option of scanning directly onto the flash memory
card. At the same time a generic kernel of OpenBSD to which my HP
all-in-one is connected via USB sees the same flash memory card as a
standard SCSI HDD. I just mounted the flash memory as

mount -t msdos /dev/sd0i /mnt

and I could see a directory on /mnt with scan images.

I would guess that the above trick works for any all-in-one or scanner
device which has flash memory cards readers including the one produced
by Canon and Brother which are not supported by sane-backends.

I could even see that you could print on these all-in-one devices
without any drivers as long as the kernel sees card readers as SCSI HDD
when the all-in-once are connected via USB (or network). You just send
your files to flash cards and once there you print directly to printer.

Enjoy,
Predrag Punosevac

P.S. I hope you will find above hardware solution for printing and
scanning as interesting as OpenBSD way of VoIP (ssh+aucat).