On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 02:19:42PM -0700, Matt S wrote:
> Given the following:
>
> [internet - DSL Modem - 192.168.0.1]----------[bge0:192.168.0.254 - OpenBSD
> 4.7 - em0:10.40.60.1]----------[Laptop - DHCP]
>
> net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
>
> How can I get my laptop to reach the internet?  I kind of figured that all I
> would have to do is have forwarding enabled on the OpenBSD box without
> specifying any additional routing instructions.  I can ping my laptop from
> the OpenBSD box.  Since my default gateway is effectively 192.168.0.1, I am
> puzzled as to why I cannot ping that address from the laptop.  What could I
> possibly be missing?  I'm tearing my hair out .....

The modem has no route to 10.40.60.0/[whatever your netmask is, perhaps
you should have included enough information]

It will reply to this mysterious "internet" where its default route
points.

This configuration is not guaranteed to work even if you add a static
route in the modem, since it may not nat source addresses not within
192.168.0.0/[whatever netmask it is].

It's probably easiest to nat connections from 10.40.60.1/[...] on the
openbsd box.