From: "Cameron Simpson" <c...@zip.com.au>
To: misc@openbsd.org
Sent: PP>P=P5P4P5P;QP=P8P:, 19 PQP;Q 2010 P3 10:08:51 (GMT+0200)
Auto-Detected
Subject: OpenBSD 4.7 amd64 on IBM x3550 M2 panics at boot

Full of optimism I have installed OpenBSD 4.7 on a new machine.
The amd64 install CD boots just fine, installs just fine.

After the install, the /bsd kernel panics with a stack trace looking
like this (hand retyped):

  [...]
  acpiprt5 at acpi0: bus -1 (PCI9)
  acpicpu0 at acpi0uvm_fault(0xffffffff80c9e980, 0x0, 0, 1) -> e
  kernel: page fault trap, code=0
  Stopped at      acpucpu_getpss_0xbf: movq 0(%rax),%rdi
  acpicpu_getpss() at acpicpu_getpss+0xbf
  acpicpu_attach() at acpicpu_attach+0x154
  config_attach() at config_attach+0x11b
  acpi_add_device() at acpi_add_device+0x95
  aml_walknodes() at aml_walknodes+0x6e
  aml_walknodes() at aml_walknodes+0x41
  aml_walknodes() at aml_walknodes+0x41
  acpi_attach() at acpi_attach+0x45d
  config_attach() at config_attach+0x11b
  bios_attach() at bios_attach+0xb7
  end trace frame: 0xffffffff80d99d80, count: 0
  ddb{0}>

and at the ddb prompt the keyboard doesn't work. It's USB only on this
machine.

If it stop the auto boot and boot the /bsd.rd from the monitor it boots
happily, though it then offers an install:-(

How do I troubleshoot this?
Is ACPI a problem, and can I avoid that subsystem?
Are there "command line" options I can supply the booting kernel?

_Why_ does the install CD install a kernel that doesn't cope with the
machine while the bsd.rd kernel that it also installs obviously does?

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.  Attack ships on fire off the
shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the
Tannhauser Gate.  All these memories will be lost in time, like tears in
rain.
        - Roy Baty, _Blade Runner_