On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, j...@fixedpointgroup.com wrote:

>sendmail is fine if you have a few users at a relatively quiet domain,
>all of whom you want to have system accounts on the mailserver.

You imply that sendmail is _only_ fine for such limited uses, which is
certainly not true in my experience; I'm curious as to why you believe
this.

It doesn't require (or, AFAICT, benefit in any way) from users having
any sort of account (let alone a system account) on the mailserver
itself, and it's not hard to set up multiple domains on the same server.

While I haven't needed to do it myself, there's plenty of anecdotal
evidence of large, busy mailservers running sendmail.

I'm _not_ arguing whether sendmail is better or worse than the
alternatives; while I've looked at a few others, I've never used any of
them -- so I don't have any real basis for an opinion.  I _have_ been
using sendmail (on a light-duty, mostly-home mailserver) for 15 years.

        Dave

--
Dave Anderson
<d...@daveanderson.com>