On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Milin <merlyn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just read about NetBSD's veriexec and I think it would be great
> to have it in OpenBSD.
> Is anyone working on porting/rewrite? If not, could you write why? Is
> it because some caveat in veriexec's design, not enough time, or just
> lack of developers' interest?

it looks like an interesting idea, but I'm not sure what vulnerability it
protects you from.  if you don't want users to replace system files, it
seems like a better idea to prevent them from being replaced, rather than
allowing replacement but then preventing access.

not that the 'preventing access' problem is much of an obstacle.  the
article I found via google didn't have a lot of details, but it seems like
if you have rights to replace the files, you probably also have rights to
write an updated signature to /dev/veriexec.  if you're not going to require
the signatures to themselves be signed I really don't see the point.

still, if some developer were interested enough to write a diff, there's
nothing stopping them.

-ken