On Oct 14 15:18:49, frantisek holop wrote:
> hmm, on Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 03:02:42PM +0200, Jan Stary said that
> > >
> > > at the time of writing i was using the latest OS snapshot..
> > > as far as i know snapshot packages are compiled on snapshot
> > > systems.  i am curious how can i get bad major errors
> > > from packages on the latest snapshot.
> > >
> > > i simply expected the oct 9/10 snapshot packages to match
> > > with the oct 6 system snapshot.
> >
> > That exactly is your wrong expectation.
>
> what is the good one then?
>
> if i cannot expect the latest system snapshot to use the
> latest package snapshots, how is one supposed to keep
> using -current?

The only point in time when the base system, ports and packages
are guaranteed to be "in sync" is a release.

I cannot be bothered to find this in the faq somewhere.

> i have been using -current exactly like this for
> more than 10 years.  1. install snaphost, 2. install snapshot packages.
> 99% of the time this worked great.

Exactly. That's what I am doing too. You just hit the case
when a package (built on 10/9) requires a library which
a sytem built on 10/6 does not have. So what?