Actually the 0.5 version which is around now is quite a different story from
the old versions, pretty much usable, finally!
I usually install it on stand-alone servers, so that I have a tiny DE which
I can use for service reasons like monitoring, remote desktop, etc...

Maybe this could be a good starting point:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=lxde&stype=all
And some nice compatible tools are already there in OpenBSD, like xarchiver,
epdfview or gpicview.... :)))