----- Original Message -----
| On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 14:26 -0700, James A. Peltier wrote:

The move to NFSv4, more specifically, NFSv4 with Kerberos security, was to
continue to be able to provide our users the ability to log into any UNIX,
GNU/Linux or Mac OS X machine, and have their home directories be mounted on
each of those platforms.  We are currently doing this with NFSv3 and NIS.
VLANs were used to segment this insecure environment from the rest of the
university network.

We are now moving towards a larger campus wide solution.  One where VLANs are
not permitted, nor is MPLS/VRF functionality currently available.  We are also
moving towards single sign on using AD 2008 w/Kerberos tickets for secure
access to file system mounts.  This better allows us to provide relatively
secure file system access using fix or automounts to other campuses over
insecure networks at varying levels of security based on mounts and security
requirements.

As I stated earlier.  I'm not doing any NFSv4 with OpenBSD.  I am using
Solaris, OS X, GNU/Linux and Windows mostly in my environment.  I was just
interested more towards why NFSv4 was deemed so bad.  This has now been pointed
out much more clearly in recent posts, but still seems to be the best of the
worst choice.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director