OK, removing DESTDIR from my "build-userland" shell script fixed the problem.

To be specific, the FAQ says:

        Make sure all the appropriate directories are created.
# cd /usr/src/etc && env DESTDIR=/ make distrib-dirs
And here is what I had in my build script (ksh):

        cd ${BSDSRCDIR}/etc
        export DESTDIR=/
        make distrib-dirs

And up until now, that has always worked for me.  But now it doesn't, so based
on Stuart's advice, I removed the
        "export DESTDIR=/"

Is the FAQ incorrect, or was my translation of the FAQ into a ksh script
incorrect, which then failed when DESTDIR suppport during userland builds
changed?

Thank you so much for pointing out a workaround to my problem, I've been stuck
on this for days!

Don