On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, Matt Bettinger wrote:

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 5:28 AM,  <shweg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, I'm considering buying a Soekris net5501-70 and install OpenBSD on it
to make myself a small server and use it as a proxy (ssh tunnel), it might
serve as backup file sever as well. I guess at the most there will be
two-three computers connnected at the same time, and there might be some
streaming video going through, like the videos you find on online
newspapers. I have googled around, and read that this kind of hardware is
fine as a router but not so much as a server. Is it true?
Thank you for any suggestions.
I was also considering using a netbook for the task. What about it?
Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have an net5501-70 myself and have been using it for last few years
as my gateway.  It can handle a couple of  ipsec connections and
handle  ~5-7 devices connected behind it.  It can get bogged down on
the network interrupts on the card.  Say,  for example when multiple
torrents are running off my DMZ.    I really do not think it would act
as a good file server.  I would NOT use a laptop as a file server
either.  My file server I use is OpenBSD on an dell crap box with
mirror raid.  By the way,  I run current on everything.

re,

mb

So, if I use it only for ssh tunneling both soekris and netbook would be fine? Of course, it has to be on 24*7.