Matthew Sullenberger <sully () sadburger ! com> wrote at 2010-12-21
18:22:48:

> I've been playing with OpenBSD for a little while now, and really love
it
> when I need to throw together a quick firewall, web server, dhcp
server,
> etc. I've got on firewall that I've been using for a little while now,
> OpenBSD 4.6, running on a VMWare ESXi box. It normally performs fine,
and it
> is doing some NAT and firewall functions with PF. I've pushed quite a
few
> packets through it and am impressed with the performance I am able to
get
> out of it.
>
> However, it seems like roughly every 2-3 weeks, I'll experience an
issue
> with it where it will stop responding. I can still ping the machine,
but it
> won't forward any packets, accept SSH connections, or respond to
basically
> anything. If I check on my VMWare host machine it is showing 100% cpu
> utilization, and I am unable to access the console directly through
VMWare.

> Performing a reset through VMWare fixes it and it runs fine again, for
a few
> weeks, until the same problem occurs. After resetting the box I check
out
> all the log files but I have never been able to see anything that even
> remotely seems relevant to what could have been happening.  I know of
no way
> to see what processes are running and eating up the cpu when this
occurs,
> since I can't get it to respond to anything. I am hoping someone may
be able
> to help point me in the right steps of where to begin troubleshooting
this--
> I am a fairly experienced Windows admin, but still pretty new to the
BSD
> world, but am trying my best to adopt it wherever possible!
>
> Thanks in advance!

I don't think you will find many here who will not recommend against
**ever**
running **any** firewall as a hosted application in the strongest terms.

It is probably the very worst application of all to run in a virtual
machine.
This is because the one machine that you leaving wholly exposed to
attack
is the ESXi host that the firewall is on: everything has to come through
it
to get to the "firewall" machine in the first place.

Which doesn't answer the initial question, but I will not be surprised
if
most of the devs think that this issue is more pressing than the initial
question.

--
Ed Ahlsen-Girard