On 01/01/2011 10:43 PM, Greg Steuck wrote:
I was thinking of building a new wifi AP. The following is a stream of
thoughts on the subject. Any constructive suggestions are welcome.

Requirements:
   * Compatibility with Androids, Kindles, x86 Linux, OpenBSD wifi clients
   * Strong in-doors signal
   * Maximum control

Nice to have:
   * Combine the AP with the wired Ethernet OpenBSD router.
   * Low power&  noise.

Complications:
   * A few wireless networks in nearby houses
   * OpenBSD AP capable devices have a CAVEAT: Host AP mode doesn't
     support power saving.  Clients attempting to use power saving mode
     may experience significant packet loss (disabling power saving on
     the client will fix this).

Possible design:
   * OpenBSD host with 2 or more wired Ethernets
   * USB wifi device (free to switch host hardware)
   * External Hi-Gain antenna

Detailed implementation:
  * small i386 or armish machine for the host (Soekris?)
  * Hawking HWUG1 (rum(4)) ( http://goo.gl/ccd6Q )

rum(4) did not like hostap mode the few times I tried.
via the man page I think this is a problem with all usb radios
so I tend to stick with pci/pcmcia cards ral(4) for my APs,
however I have not had any other problems with rum.
And fwiw I have had the worst luck picking out ath radios.

  * Hawking HAI7SIP Antenna ( http://goo.gl/Axg7j )

Does anybody know if the CAVEAT above present a problem in real life for
the clients I listed?

Thanks
Greg
--
nest.cx is Gmail hosted, use PGP for anything private. Key:
http://tinyurl.com/ho8qg