I'm looking for a program that I can use to use SOCKS proxies for various
programs, such as different IRC clients (ircII, irssi, etc.) and SSH as well
(or other programs that don't have native SOCKS proxy support built-in).

For SSH I Googled a lot of articles on how to run SSH as a proxy server, but
not how to SSH using a proxy.

Since tsocks is very obsolete and dsocks is very limited in its support with
programs, is dante the only viable option I currently have? (Since dsocks and
dante conflict with trying to pkg_add I can only have one.)