> > I have a script to sort of kickstart an installation after doing a
> > bare install of OpenBSD, and it's designed to be idempotent (won't
> > hurt to run it several times).

> > Currently I install some packages, but that's a bit of a time-waster
> > in that it will reinstall.

> Is there a way I can test for whether a
> > package has been installed already, given only the package name, and
> > not necessarily the executable name (if there is one)?  I tried
> > pkg_info and the exit code is zero even if the package isn't
> > installed.

When asked to install an already installed package,
pkg_add does nothing (end exits with a zero status).

> > Also, I've noticed that if I don't have X11 installed, I can't seem to
> > install certain packages (such as subversion) and certain ports
> > (EMACS, and even if I set FLAVOR=no_x11).  What's up with that?

man packages says

     Some flavors are also explicitly provided to avoid having to depend
     on the kitchen sink.  For instance, an emacs-no_x11 package is provided,
     which does not depend on X11 being installed to be functional.

What is the actual command you are using and what is the error message?
Also, how exactly are you using FLAVOR=no_x11 with _packages_ (not ports)?