I upgraded my OpenBSD system to 4.8 last week, and it seems that there is a problem. Over the weekend, all available memory was chewed up and the system was page faulting like crazy. After a reboot, I started watching closely, and memory is being slowly consumed, but none of the user-mode proceses appear to be increasing in size.

I have poked around a bit and found that "systat pool" is telling me that "mbpl" is increasing in size by approximately 5 per second with a request rate probably 10 times that. The "systat mbufs" display shows:

3 users Load 0.37 0.30 0.32 Thu Feb 10 11:30:02 2011

IFACE             LIVELOCKS  SIZE ALIVE   LWM   HWM   CWM
System                        256  315K       20176
                               2k    19          39
lo0
vr0                            2k     8     2    63     8
vr1
vr2
vr3                            2k     7     2    63     7

The mbuf count seems to go up at the same rate regardless of network (or system) load.

Can anyone help me to pin this down further? How can I find out what is consuming mbufs? I assume that the in-use mbuf count should typically be fairly small?

Naturally I'm happy to provide dmesg output, etc, but I didn't want to clutter the list unnecessarily. The machine is a Soekris net5501.

Thanks in advance,

Alan