On 11.02.2011 03:49, Nick Holland wrote:

> tip: use OpenBSD's resident ftp app, save a package:
> /tmp $ ftp http://ftp.spline.de/pub/OpenBSD/4.8/sys.tar.gz

:)

> i.e., "basically the same for all"  Therefore, I'm ignoring all but the
> 4.9 GENERIC.  I almost never complain about dmesgs being included, but
> including four different dmesgs that show the same result wasn't overly
> interesting and 57k emails are a bit big... :)

Sorry, just trying to be helpfull :).

> Sounds like you don't have softdeps running on your system.  Use 'em
> (FAQ 14).

> A lot slower, but still a lot better than you are getting, so, I suspect
> you have both issues going on.
>
> There are about 10,000 files in that file, so that's a lot of file
> creations, that's the stuff that Softdeps shines on.

Enabling softdeps made some improvement but performance is still
unacceptable.

# mount
/dev/sd0a on / type ffs (local)
/dev/sd0m on /home type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)
/dev/sd0d on /tmp type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid)
/dev/sd0f on /usr type ffs (local, nodev)
/dev/sd0g on /usr/X11R6 type ffs (local, nodev)
/dev/sd0h on /usr/local type ffs (local, nodev)
/dev/sd0l on /usr/obj type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid)
/dev/sd0k on /usr/src type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid)
/dev/sd0e on /var type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid)
# pwd
/home/test/6
# time tar xzf ./sys.tar.gz

    1m2.53s real     0m0.58s user     0m0.62s system

I think my problem is somehow related to this:

http://old.nabble.com/Dell-R310-with-SAS-drives-very-slow-td28659314.html

And this:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/storlink/h200/en/ug/html/features.htm#wp1062398

Thank you.