Just to say that I've been having the same problem with a Soekris board since
about 4.4. I haven't figured out what's going on, but strangely the problem is
getting better with time (i.e. the rate at which mbufs are allocated decreases).
I *think* that it was fine in 4.3 (though I never run the machine for any length
of time with that kernel), so you could try that if you want to investigate.

I haven't been able to establish a correlation between allocated mbufs and
(network) load either.

The "solution" for me so far has been to keep a watchful eye and reboot the
machine once too much memory is used, combined with a watchdog and monit to
reboot the machine automatically if it becomes unresponsive.

Lars