previously on this list Gilles Chehade contributed:

> > that connection can be man-in-the-middle'd, which leads to the attacker
> > being able to make it appear so that the mailserver doesn't support
> > STARTTLS.
> >
> > I've seen this in practice at my old school for one.
> >

> Yes, I know that :-)
>
> But I don't understand why it is a problem.
>
> OpenSMTPD does opportunistic-TLS and an attacker doing a MITM will only
> be able to skip STARTTLS in a situation where..., well... we would have
> falled back to plaintext anyway if the server didn't offer STARTTLS.

RFC 3207

I may well have confused you by the race part as my memory was
obviously hazy and I was thinking there were multple TCP sessions
involved, sorry about that. I need to re-learn utilising greater
consideration before posting.

 A man-in-the-middle attack can be launched by deleting the "250
   STARTTLS" response from the server.  This would cause the client not
   to try to start a TLS session.  Another man-in-the-middle attack is
   to allow the server to announce its STARTTLS capability, but to alter
   the client's request to start TLS and the server's response.  In
   order to defend against such attacks both clients and servers MUST be
   able to be configured to require successful TLS negotiation of an
   appropriate cipher suite for selected hosts before messages can be
   successfully transferred.  The additional option of using TLS when
   possible SHOULD also be provided.  An implementation MAY provide the
   ability to record that TLS was used in communicating with a given
   peer and generating a warning if it is not used in a later session.

However with SMTPS using a dedicated port means everything is encrypted
from the getgo and bugs causing downgrade attacks have been fixed
rather than it being a design problem. I guess what I was wondering was
if anything has improved or if the last sentence above could be
utilised or optionally rejected rather than warned about whilst taking
onboard DOS.

In my latter email I see now that I was forgetting that all a client
sends is an EHLO and in any case the following could be modified by the
attacker in the first place.

EHLO mail.example.com STARTTLS-ENABLED

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)