On 11 October 2015 at 21:34, Allyn Bottorff <abotto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Your firewall could prevent smtpd from starting if you have a default
> "drop all" rule, then you start smtpd and finally your firewall loads the
> correct rules.
> > I had a similar problem in the past due to that and an incorrect
> hosts(5) file.
> >    Cheers
> >      Giovanni
>
> I've looked through my startup logs and picked one of the
> latest-starting services I had and set the smtpd service to start after
> that, but it didn't make a difference. Even the repeated start attempts
> are all failing. The repeated restart attempts are quite a bit after the
> rest of the system starts up, so I'm really not sure what it could be.
> Again, it starts with no issues if I start it myself.
>
> Does anyone know what specifically causes this error?
>
> Oct 11 14:14:10 shadesmar smtpd[3086]: fatal: smtpd: bind: Cannot assign
> requested address
>
> Again I appreciate all the helpful suggestions thus far.
>
> --
> You received this mail because you are subscribed to misc@opensmtpd.org

It might be worth a try to run the daemon with the -v flag for more verbose
logs. And if that doesn't help you could modify the service to run
opensmtpd straced and see if that can shed more light on the problem. (I
would make strace write to a file when trying that.)

I'm having exactly the same issue on an Arch server by the way. If I recall
correctly I've had the problem when using dhcpcd, systemd-networkd and with
a service running a simple script for setting up the interfaces. In my case
it might be worth mentioning that I renamed my interface to tubes0. It
should already have been renamed before opensmtpd is started though, and
I'm almost certain I verified that by looking at the logs.

Sadly I have no time to investigate further at the moment.​

Regards,
Maarten