After some experimentation I think I can compress this problem down to one
question:

Is it possible for an OpenSMTPD host to process email addressed to two
different host names, both of which resolve to the same address?

When I set "mailname," any mail sent to that name works fine. Mail
addressed to the alternate host name loops.

I thought the "virtual" keyword would be for this purpose, but I've had no
luck with it.

Thanks,