I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your particular question. In case
nothing else comes up and you decide to reconsider the idea of running a
spam filter, I've been using bgp-spamd[0] quite successfully on a
machine with very few resources and have been getting virtually no spam.
At the very least, even if you decide to continue forwarding everything
to Gmail, it would eliminate much of the spam you're currently
forwarding to Gmail and would hopefully get your non-spam to spam ratio
to an acceptable level.

Best,
Ryan

[0] http://bgp-spamd.net/

--
|_)|_/  Ryan Kavanagh           | Debian Developer