All,

Thanks for the input, highly appreciated!

The solution of adding aliases to other domains than example.com and delivering
locally still would force me to have an alias for each and every actually used
target in the @example.com domain (and hence in real world cases it’s a
maintenance nightmare if this has to be pushed out to every firewall, webserver
etc.)
-> not an option for me

table(5) man page is interesting (hadn’t read that one yet, found a missing
link -> thanks!)
(while it is listed in the see also section of smtpd.conf(5), I hadn’t realized
is was specific to opensmtpd - my mistake)

I think so far the conclusion is that within the (current) capabilities of
opensmtpd:

- I need to give up on having no local delivery in order to have aliases.

- If I have local delivery I need to give up on having mailname set to
example.com
    and use a subdomain in example.com so I can avoid having to have a list of
all possible real mail targets in @example.com
    with a subdomain per server/set of servers I can make sure that nothing
gets delivered locally as I can alias away all users
    on the system to off server email addresses.

I’ll look further into this to see what works in the end:

- Either I live without aliases on the originating server

  -> guess the worst is root’s crontabs that need a r...@example.com alias to
function externally on the mailserver - one more spam target …
  -> In my case real users already will have some sort of u...@example.com
alias/email address already

  Hmm… Seems like crontab allows MAILTO configuration … might be an option to
fix that part without using aliases…
  [need to run a full inventory of all current aliases in use out there, to see
if I can get rid of every last one]

- Either I live with header From: addresses that cannot be replied to (or
setting up email services for those addresses) for mail originating locally
  like from crontabs, the mailx commands etc.

  -> if sendmail -f works as I expect it would, this might still be an option.
[I have not tested it yet - just being (overly) cautious]
     (crontabs etc.: I probably can live with them not being suitable for
replying to)

  Hmm … mailx and crontab allow setting the from (sure is a per user setting,
but probably something I can live with on these servers s there’s
  no non-administrative interactive users anyway in my case)

Still as a suggestion for improvement:

 - why not allow alias processing on relaying [from local] ?
   (would IMHO solve a lot for e.g. webservers, file servers, firewall, …)

 - maybe an example on how to setup the simplest of configuration of smtpd.conf
for e.g. a webserver or a firewall …
   (might make adoption much easier for those of us “new” to opensmtpd)

  [I fully understand the development focus on mailservers as it’s by far the
more complex situation]
  [and I do appreciate the simplicity of the configuration - esp. when compared
to a “bat-book”]

Swa