On Tue, Jan 02, 2018 at 09:43:52AM -0500, Scott Court wrote:

> On 01/01/2018 07:19 PM, Mik J wrote:
> >
> > # smtpd -h
> > version: OpenSMTPD 6.0.0
> >
> > Also, if anyone knows why 6.0.2 is not the version shipped in the
> > latest 6.2 openbsd.
> >
> > Thanks
> I have been wondering about this myself. After taking a look at the code
> in the OpenBSD CVS tree though, it looks like the "6.0.0" version of
> OpenSMTPD shipped with OpenBSD 6.2 is actually not the 6.0.0 version
> available on opensmtpd.org. It appears that it is actually closer to a
> recent fork of the CVS version of OpenSMTPD.
>
> Additionally, the OpenSMTPD version in OpenBSD has been upgraded with
> the release of OpenBSD 6.1 and 6.2; however, the version number seems to
> stay at "6.0.0" for some reason. I tried building OpenSMTPD 6.0.2 from
> source the other day, just to find out it was actually older than the
> "6.0.0" version in my stock OpenBSD 6.2.
>
> This seems very strange to me.

You are absolutely right.

We used to have a release process specifically for OpenSMTPD when it was
using git as a main repository and synchronized to OpenBSD but since the
switch we never discussed our versionning despite the fact that there is
a different workflow and we often have many minor commits that we do not
think warrant a version update... but causes OpenSMTPD to have different
code for identical versions.

In the meantime, I have bumped the version in OpenBSD -current to 6.0.3,
this will make it obvious that the code is more ahead than on github.

This weekend, I will update the code on github and prepare a 6.0.3 minor
release so everyone gets the same code for that version, then we'll have
a discussion on how we will prevent this from happening in the future.

This was entirely my fault so... apologies

--
Gilles Chehade

https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg