On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 01:19:25AM +0200, Michael Warmuth-Uhl wrote:
> Hi Gilles,
>
> On 8/8/19 9:30 AM, Gilles Chehade wrote:
> > What happens if you call mail.local directly, bypassing smtpd altogether ?
>
> Thanks for your hint. It helped finding the issue.
>
>     $ cat .forward
>     | /usr/local/bin/procmail
>
> So it seems procmail is not nice to the mboxes anymore. Removing
> it everything is fine again.

there's an option to let procmail prepend the From delimiter but I don't
recall what it is, know that it exists though.

it was not necessary with OpenBSD 6.3 because OpenSMTPD was doing things
wrong by prepending it itself in some cases and not in others.

with OpenBSD 6.4, the mda layer was normalized so that there are not any
special cases anymore, which means the procmail command line option must
be used now.

that being said, please don't use procmail, the code is unreadable so it
is impossible to audit (not exagerating, have a look for yourself), it's
also requesting to be setuid which is a red flag and finally there are a
few modern alternatives that are far better, fdm being one of them.

Friends don't let friends use procmail.

--
Gilles Chehade                                                 @poolpOrg

https://www.poolp.org            patreon: https://www.patreon.com/gilles