> On Jun 15, 2020, at 6:43 AM, Tony Boston <tboston@bsd.services> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have an issue with forwarding mails which belong to the local root user.
> I never had that and it seems something changed in opensmtpd?
>
> In /etc/mail/aliases I used to say
>   root: sys...@example.com
>
> This always worked but stopped working and the following error pops up in the
> logs:
> smtp failed-command command="RCPT TO:<sys...@example.com> ORCPT=rfc822;root"
> result="553 ORCPT address syntax error”
>
> It actually does work when I try something like ‘echo Test | mail
> sys...@example.com’ BUT 'echo Test | mail root’ does not
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> —
> Tony

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue. I have a linux system
with Logwatch set to e-mail 'root', and the root user has a ~/.forward to a
fully qualified e-mail address (u...@example.com). It only started happening on
June 11, when I upgraded opensmtpd from 6.6.4,1 -> 6.7.1,1 (on my mailserver,
which is FreeBSD). I get the same "ORCPT address syntax error" you're seeing.
Here's the log from smtp when it happened yesterday:

Jul 10 03:19:03 roast smtpd[80856]: 66aa64942b25c1fd smtp failed-command
command="RCPT TO:<u...@example.com> ORCPT=rfc822;root" result="553 ORCPT
address syntax error"

The linux system hasn't been changed in years, and it started happening
immediately after the upgrade of opensmtpd, so I imagine it's related to that.

--william