Hi,

action remote_delivery lmtp "/usr/lib/dovecot/lmtp" rcpt-to virtual <users>

    Camping - inotifywait -mrq /usr/lib/dovecot - show the
    lmtp executable is never touched, when Dovecot is running.

You have to call the LMTP server by IP:Port or UNIX socket, not by executable.

On OpenBSD it would look like this:
action remote_delivery lmtp "/var/dovecot/lmtp" rcpt-to virtual <users>

With
# doveconf | grep lmtp
you can look if your config uses "unix_listener lmtp"

# doveconf | grep state_dir
should tell you the directory of the lmtp unix socket.

2) Also there doesn't seem to be a working Dovecot LMTP
    example, anywhere I can find. If someone can point me
    to an example (using new syntax), that would be great.

https://prefetch.eu/blog/2020/email-server/