October 23, 2020 6:00 PM, "Demi M. Obenour" <demioben...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How important is the caching of userinfo data in mda.c? For security
> reasons, I want userinfo lookups to happen in forkmda() in the child
> process.

Fairly important as if mda.c no longer do userinfo lookups, it becomes
possible to provoke a DoS by preventing deliveries from happening in a
relatively fair distribution. i.e: I could flood myself so that mda is
saturated with mail deliveries to gilles@ which will then cause parent
to call forkmda() exclusively for gilles@ and hit process limits which
will prevent other users from getting their mails.

Note that it's not so much a caching of userinfo, it's a session which
lives only as long as you're delivering for a specific user and that's
gone when no deliveries are pending.

What problem are you trying to solve ?