Hi all,

I now have authenticated submission on port 587 working regardless of whether
the connecting host has a PTR record.

Here are the steps taken:

1) Built OpenSMTPd and associated software from ports on FreeBSD 13.
2) Wiped my iPhone and configured my mail account again.

This log excerpt is from my phone this morning:

smtp connected address=85.255.235.74 host=<unknown>
Aug 15 08:46:41 [redacted] smtp tls ciphers=TLSv1.3:TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384:256
Aug 15 08:46:42 [redacted] smtpd [redacted] smtp authentication user=pete
result=ok

I'm not really sure if I have configured anything different by using ports (I
used 'pkg install' previously on another server) but all is good.

I have a suspicion that it was actually my phone which was causing the issue.

Here are my notes which I hope will help.

https://valar.uk.net/smtpd-valar.conf

Pete.