I know on Ubuntu I always disable the wretched systemd-resolved because it
absolutely screws up DNS.  I suspect that's your gremlin.  Here's my usual
recipe:

systemctl stop systemd-resolved
systemctl disable systemd-resolved

# add after [main] in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
dns=default

rm /etc/resolv.conf

# restart networking (systemctl restart network-manager) or reboot

   ED.