May 3, 2022 12:14 PM, "Demi Marie Obenour" <demioben...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why does OpenSMTPD not support pipelining? Was it just never
> implemented, or is it a spam prevention feature?

There were multiple reasons but it most generally boiled down to:

It's not worth the effort.

Adding support for pipelining wouldn't be that hard, instead of reading lines
and passing them to the command dispatcher, all you'd have to do is pass them
to a FIFO and have the command dispatcher read from that FIFO.

As you can see, it's not really a technical issue or limitation, just that we
didn't think the benefits of pipelining would be worth it when the protocol's
transactional and causing commands to be serialised by design (cancelling the
transport pipelining gains in handling time) and when we live at an era where
MTA implement artificial limits to avoid blasting other ends because they are
already capable of being "too fast".