*Destroying Liberty*<http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2094656/posts>

BY WALTER E. WILLIAMS

RELEASE: WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2008, AND THEREAFTER

Destroying Liberty

Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis warned, "The greatest dangers to
liberty lurk in the insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but
without understanding." The freedom of individuals from compulsion or
coercion never was, and is not now, the normal state of human affairs. The
normal state for the ordinary person is tyranny, arbitrary control and abuse
mainly by their own government. While imperfect in its execution, the
founders of our nation sought to make an exception to this ugly part of
mankind's history. Unfortunately, at the urging of the American people, we
are unwittingly in the process of returning to mankind's normal state of
affairs.

Americans demand that Congress spend trillions of dollars on farm subsidies,
business bailouts, education subsidies, Social Security, Medicare and
prescription drugs and other elements of a welfare state. The problem is
that Congress produces nothing. Whatever Congress wishes to give, it has to
first take other people's money. Thus, at the root of the welfare state is
the immorality of intimidation, threats and coercion backed up with the
threat of violence by the agents of the U.S. Congress. In order for Congress
to do what some Americans deem as good, it must first do evil. It must do
that which if done privately would mean a jail sentence; namely, take the
property of one American to give to another.

According to a Washington Post article (6/22/05), there were nearly 35,000
highly paid registered lobbyists in Washington in 2004 who spent $2.1
billion lobbying the White House, Congress and various agencies on behalf of
various interest groups. Political action committees, private donors and
companies give billions of dollars to political campaigns. My question to
you: Do you think that these people are spending billions of dollars to
assist presidents and congressmen to better perform their sworn oath of
office to preserve, protect and defend the U.S. Constitution? If you do,
you're a fine candidate for a straitjacket. For the most part, the money is
being spent to get politicians and government officials to use their
coercive power to create a favor or special privilege for one American at
the expense of some other American.

If we Americans didn't give Washington such enormous control over our lives,
I doubt whether there would be 10 percent of the money currently spent on
lobbying and campaign contributions. This enormous control that Congress has
over our lives also goes a long way toward explaining much of the government
corruption that we see in Washington.

If the average American were asked whether he wishes to return to mankind's
normal state of affairs featured by arbitrary abuse, control and government
dictates, I am sure he would find such a suggestion repulsive. But if you
were to ask, say, the average senior citizen whether Social Security,
Medicare and prescription drug subsidies should be continued, he would
probably answer yes. The same would be true if you asked a college professor
whether higher education should continue to be subsidized, or a farmer or a
dairyman whether their products should be subsidized, or a manufacturer
whether there should be tariffs and quotas on foreign products that compete
with his product. The problem with congressmen producing favors and
privileges to all interest groups is that it creates what none of us wants:
massive control, numerous dictates and micromanagement of our lives.

There is no question that if one were to ask whether we Americans are moving
towards more liberty or more government control over our lives, the answer
would unambiguously be the latter -- more government control over our lives.
We might have reached a point where the trend is irreversible and that is a
true tragedy for if liberty is lost in America, it will be lost for all
times and all places.
 __._,_.___  Messages in this topic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usma_/message/49186;_ylc=X3oDMTM2Z3U4ZDV0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzczMzI2MDMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYwMzc1BG1zZ0lkAzQ5MTg2BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIyMjg1MTcyMAR0cGNJZAM0OTE4Ng-->(
1)  Reply (via web post)
Start
a new topic
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usma_/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbWlrY3JlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzczMzI2MDMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYwMzc1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIyMjg1MTcyMA-->

  [image: Yahoo!
Change settings via the
Web<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usma_/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNjdsZDlhBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzczMzI2MDMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYwMzc1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjI4NTE3MjA->(Yahoo!
ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily
Digest<[EMAIL PROTECTED]:+Digest>|
Switch
format to Traditional<[EMAIL PROTECTED]:+Traditional>
 Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usma_;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbmRlN3ZlBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzczMzI2MDMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYwMzc1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjIyODUxNzIw>|
Yahoo!
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Visit Your Group
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usma_;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbmVkbnJjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzczMzI2MDMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYwMzc1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTIyMjg1MTcyMA-->
 Yahoo! News

Get it all
here<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13olcrns6/M=493064.12016309.12445701.8674578/D=groups/S=1705060375:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1222858921/L=/B=BYLlBkLaX98-/J=1222851721103064/A=3848627/R=0/SIG=10obc6i69/*http://news.yahoo.com/>

Breaking news to

entertainment news
 Wellness Spot

Embrace
Change<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13ptrolss/M=493064.12016299.12445691.11322765/D=groups/S=1705060375:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1222858921/L=/B=BoLlBkLaX98-/J=1222851721103064/A=4990217/R=0/SIG=11d53kq3t/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/curves/>

Break the Yo-Yo

weight loss cycle.
 Best of Y! Groups

Discover
groups<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13o923kuq/M=493064.12016306.12445698.8674578/D=groups/S=1705060375:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1222858921/L=/B=B4LlBkLaX98-/J=1222851721103064/A=4763762/R=0/SIG=11ou7otip/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/bestofyahoogroups/>

that are the best

of their class.
  .

__,_._,___

--
Ecolation ~ The feeling of euphoria that comes over you upon planting a tree

"There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him".
~Robert Heinlein~

--
http://votetom4council.webs.com/

http://417-political-pundit.blogspot.com/

www.moliberty.org

"lite a fire for a man he'll be warm for a day, lite the man on fire and
he'll be warm the rest of his life".

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics
won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

In fact, there is a direct correlation between loyalty to one's spouse and
the "trustworthiness, sincerity, honesty and strength of leadership"
required to lead a nation.
~John Edwards~

"no cause is lost if there is but one fool to fight for it"
~Will Turner~
~Pirate's of the Caribbean @ World's End~

Save your property rights
www.mo-cpr.org