McCaskill hearts Sotomayor...

Yick.

Deb

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Senator McCaskill <senator_mccask...@mccaskill.senate.gov>
Date: Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:52 AM
Subject: From the Desk of Senator Claire McCaskill
To: kcrecyc...@gmail.com

Dear Ms. Wells:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Judge Sonia Sotomayor, President
Obama’s nominee to fill the current vacancy on the United States Supreme
Court.

As your United States Senator, I will never play partisan politics when
carrying out my constitutional duty to provide “advice and consent” on the
President's nominations. I will only support nominees for the Supreme Court
who I believe, based on their record, will be fair and objective in
evaluating the cases that come before them in order to ensure that the
United States Constitution is properly upheld.

Judge Sotomayor is one of the most qualified individuals ever nominated to
serve on our nation’s highest court. Throughout her extensive career, as a
prosecutor, a private practitioner, a District Court Judge and an Appellate
Judge, she has demonstrated a mastery of the law. Her faithfulness to the
rule of law is confirmed by the fact that in cases where she served on a
panel with a Republican-appointed judge, Judge Sotomayor and the Republican
appointee agreed on the outcome 95% of the time.

During the Senate Judiciary Committee’s nomination hearings, Senators spent
hours upon hours questioning Judge Sotomayor’s judicial philosophy, her
judicial record and comments she made at various speaking engagements. I
found her answers to be thorough and forthright. On July 28, the Committee
approved Judge Sotomayor’s nomination by a vote of 13 to 6. I remain
convinced that Judge Sotomayor will be a exemplary addition to the Supreme
Court, and I will vote in support of her nomination.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns with me. It is a privilege to
represent you. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding
other matters of interest or concern.

All best,
Senator Claire McCaskill

P. S. You may sign up for my email newsletter at www.mccaskill.senate.gov .