From: Amnesty International USA <ale...@takeaction.amnestyusa.org>
Subject: Countdown to immigration reform
To: "Linda and Carl Herd" <linda.h...@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Friday, August 21, 2009, 7:54 AM

        Amnesty International

                                If we want to end arbitrary detention and
improve conditions of immigration detention as part of the comprehensive
immigration reform expected in 2010, then we have to start building support in
Congress now.

                                Tell your Senator to co-sponsor two new bills
in Congress aimed at protecting the human rights of immigrants and U.S.
citizens locked up in jails across the U.S.

                                Dear Linda and Carl,

                                Throughout the summer, Amnesty researchers have
continued to collect new evidence that exposes the shameful immigration system
in America. We've seen U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, asylum
seekers, undocumented immigrants, and even survivors of human trafficking and
torture paying the price for a broken system.

                                Ask your Senator to co-sponsor legislation that
aims to protect the hundreds of thousands of people locked up while fighting
for legal recognition in the U.S. every year.

                                We have documented cases of people who have not
been allowed outside for over a year. We learned about a woman who, although
she posed no flight risk or danger to anyone, gave birth while being chained to
a hospital bed. The nightmare only begins there – indefinite detention,
physical abuse, lack of access to adequate medical care, and even suicide in
cases where detainees felt trapped in limbo – sometimes waiting years to
receive their first custody hearing.1

                                Stories like these tarnish the American dream.
Laws that permit this to happen, with almost no oversight or accountability,
endanger our civil liberties and human rights.

                                Ask your Senator to end arbitrary detention and
help fix conditions in immigrant detention by co-sponsoring the Protect U.S.
Citizens and Residents from Unlawful Detention Act and the Strong STANDARDS Act.

                                Just last week, President Obama signaled that
he would finally be ready to tackle the immigration system in 2010.2 This news
comes on the heels of two new bills recently introduced in the Senate that
could dramatically improve the plight of detained US citizens, immigrants and
asylum seekers.

                                These bills would provide due process
protection to U.S. citizens and others detained erroneously, and set minimum
and humane standards of care for every detained person in the U.S.

                                For many, 2010 seems a long way off. But we
know that if we're going to play an active role in shaping immigration reform
policies that respect basic rights and liberties of all people, then we're
going to have to start now.

                                It is up to us to demand that the human rights
of hundreds of thousands of people caught in the nightmarish system of
immigration detention be protected.

                                Email your Senator to help fix the broken
system of immigrant detention.

                                Sincerely,

                                Sarnata Reynolds

                                Policy Director, Refugee & Migrant Rights

                                Amnesty International USA

                                1,
http://www.amnestyusa.org/immigrant-detention/jailed-without-justice-executive-summary/page.do?id=1641033

                                2,
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/10/AR2009081001727.html

                                DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. Messages sent to
this email address are not read. If you have a question or comment, please use
our interactive online help system. Subscribe to our RSS feeds.

                                © Copyright 2009 | Amnesty International USA |
5 Penn Plaza | New York, NY 10001 | 212.807.8400

Remove yourself from this mailing.