August 24, 2009
The Two Americas
Could Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards actually be right about
something? Not where to go to get a haircut, mind you, I mean about there being
two Americas.
There is the vibrant America . . . and the stagnant one.
There is the America of ever-increasing wealth, innovation, creativity, new
products and services. Choices galore.
And there is the politician's America: The regulated America, the subsidized
America, the earmarked America. The failing America.
In one America, it is what you produce that gets you ahead. In the other, it's
who you know.
In one America, to earmark some money means setting aside funds (into savings)
for a purchase -- a car, house, college.
In the other America, to earmark is to grab from taxpayers to give to cronies.
It is the highest rite of career politicians: Buying their votes with other
people's money. Oh, there have been reforms, sure. But a recent bill in the
House had 32,000 earmark requests.
In one America, we decide what we pay for. We choose constantly about little
things and big. We call the shots. Or we walk down the street and associate
with someone else. So we have some faith in those we work with.
In the other America, we vote. But we rarely get what we vote for.
Maybe that's why the new Democratic Congress just registered the lowest
approval rating in poll history.
It surely isn't because folks love the Republicans.
This is Common Sense. I'm Paul Jacob.
Please support Common Sense. Help us reach our $52,000 goal. Donate today.

Comment on this episode | Listen to this episode

Paul Jacob is President of Citizens in Charge and the Citizens in Charge
Foundation, which sponsors both Common Sense and Paul’s weekly Townhall Column.
The opinions expressed in Common Sense are Paul Jacob’s and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizens in Charge or the Citizens in Charge Foundation.