---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 8:48 PM
Subject: Jeff Jacoby: The true believer / 8-27-2009
To: t.ma...@gmail.com

  <http://www.jeffjacoby.com> Jeff Jacoby <http://www.jeffjacoby.com> [image:
Pundicity] <http://www.pundicity.com>  The true believer

*by Jeff Jacoby
The Boston
Globe<http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/08/27/the_true_believer>
August 27, 2009*

*http://www.jeffjacoby.com/6147/the-true-believer*
  Send <http://www.jeffjacoby.com/article_send.php?id=6147>
RSS<http://www.jeffjacoby.com/jacoby/rss.xml>

*On the morning after Senator Edward Kennedy died, the Boston Globe's op-ed
columnists were each asked to write a short piece reflecting on his life. My
contribution appears below. To read the others, by Joan Vennochi, Derrick Z.
Jackson, and Scot Lehigh, as well as guest columns by Alan Wolfe and Martin
F. Nolan, please visit* *www.boston.com/opinion*<http://www.boston.com/opinion>
*.*

  BY MY LIGHTS, Ted Kennedy was wrong about most of the great issues of our
time.

Abroad, he failed to take seriously the stakes in the Cold War. "Today, with
the exception of East Germany, Russia has no more satellites," he wrote in
1968, the year Soviet tanks invaded Czechoslovakia to crush the Prague
Spring. He hailed Leonid Brezhnev, the Soviet dictator, as "a warm
individual . . . completely committed to peace." He fought to cut off aid to
South Vietnam and Cambodia in 1975 -- aid that might have prevented a
horrific communist bloodbath.

In recent years he was willing to consign millions to the tyranny of Saddam
Hussein, opposing not only the 2003 liberation of Iraq but even the 1991
campaign to roll back the occupation of Kuwait.

In domestic policy, too, Kennedy supported much that I thought misguided,
especially the burgeoning of the welfare state, the reckless expansion of
entitlements, and the vast growth in federal power. Once I asked him if
there was any legislation he regretted having supported. Yes, he said -- he
no longer favored some of the deregulation he had voted for.

"The natural progress of things," said Thomas Jefferson, "is for liberty to
yield and government to gain ground." Over the course of -- and in great
measure thanks to -- Kennedy's 46 years as a US senator, the yardage gained
by the government was immense.

Yet I have always admired the power and sincerity with which Kennedy pressed
his views. "Give him this: He knows what he believes in and doesn't hide
it," I once wrote in a column. "Kennedy rarely frets about whether his stand
on an issue is politically popular."

Born into riches and influence, Kennedy could have lived a life of ease,
indulging his appetites and paying scant attention to those far less
fortunate. He chose a different life, and became a prodigious advocate for
the deprived, the disabled, and the dispossessed. I didn't always like his
answers, but I honor him for caring so greatly about the questions.

(*Jeff Jacoby is a columnist for The Boston Globe.*)

You are subscribed to this list as *t.ma...@gmail.com*.
To edit your subscription options, or to *unsubscribe*, go to
http://www.pundicity.com/list_edit.php
To *subscribe* to the Jeff Jacoby mailing list, go to
http://www.pundicity.com/list_subscribe.php

*Pundicity* <http://www.pundicity.com>

--
"no cause is lost if there is but one fool to fight for it"
~Will Turner~

www.moliberty.org

http://417-political-pundit.blogspot.com

The power to tax involves the power to destroy.
~Justice John Marshall~

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics
won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

A legislative act contrary to the Constitution is not law.
~Justice John Marshall~

http://www.radiofreeliberty.com