Since you want less government not more let me allow Jenny to explain things to
you guys also and what HJR86 does fiscally for the state BESIDES giving us LESS
government.

This is what another person asked and how she answered.

CathyM

Catren's Shar Pei

Catren's Leather Show Accessories

Kill "The Killing Fields" Bills of the HSUS

 <http://www.americanssupportinganimalownership.com>
www.americanssupportinganimalownership.com

Alan asked:

<<<Please help me on this.  Why would we want to make a two thirds majority
mandatiory for a relatively small class?  Should not the majority rule?  Is this
some attempt to limit the power of all citizens? >>>

Jenny replies:

Alan-

I sent this privately, because I didn't think the list would be interested in
the workings of the Petition Initiative process in MO. :)

The way that the number of signatures needed for any petition initiative are
calculated right now is that the number of total voters per Congressional
district that voted in the most recent Gubernatorial Election are calculated and
listed in order of highest to lowest, and assigned a ranking, 1-9, 1 having the
highest voter turnout, 9 having the lowest. There are two kinds of petition
initiatives- Statutory or Constitutional Amendment. A Statutory change requires
only 5% of the number of voters in 6 Congressional districts (preferably the 6
with the highest voter turnout), while a Constitutional Amendment needs the
signatures of 8% of the number of voters in 6 Congressional Districts. This last
volley of petititions in Mo (23 total)  required the signatures of only about
100,000 of the almost 6,000,000 residents of the State of Missouri in order to
get considered to be put on the November ballot. To put this in context, 1% of
the State was asked if they thought each of these initiatives were important
enough to be put to a Statewide vote. The State and County resources involved in
processing these petitions is huge, and the more petitions that circulate, the
more tax revenues must be diverted to the Secretary of State's office and their
employees for the time spent going over all the paperwork. Then the County
Clerks must also validate signatures, and revenue must be diverted to that. It
can be argued that this is part of their job, but the extra hours spent counting
and validating 2,300,000 signatures this session divert the resources of
multiple offices that could be better spent elswhere.

Requiring a 2/3 majority of signatures per each Congressional District would
ensure that the wants of 1% of the total  population didn't overshadow the needs
of the other 99%, and that the 1% didn't have the power to divert State and
County resources in frivolous petition initiatives (yes, there were several of
them- you'll have to look them up- they had to do with taxes in the City of St.
Louis, a work tax in KC, a sales tax on house sales, etc.). A 2/3 signature
total would actually increase the power of the citizens of Missouri by requiring
66% to speak, rather than 1%- it would require 66% to get off their butts and
participate instead of allowing 1% to do it for them. Does that make sense?

Jenny Thrasher
Pict O'the Highlands Scottish Terriers
www.pictothehighlands.com <http://www.pictothehighlands.com/>