-- DATABASE WEEKLY UPDATE FOR 2008-11-24 --
Read more at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75651

All the headlines and interesting SQL Server information that we've collected
over the past week, and sometimes even a few repeats if we think they fit.
These headlines are gathered throughout the week and are posted in real time at
the website. Check there for information throughout the week or enjoy this
weekly summary of the SQL Server world.

EDITORIAL - LINQ TO SQL: NOT LOST BUT GONE BEFORE
Phil begins to have doubts that Application Programmers will thank Microsoft
for empowering them to construct their own device-independent Conceptual Object
model.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75676

Have you future-proofed your DBA career?
A pension's a start, but do you save enough time for your own professional
development? It's not always easy, but Red Gate's new SQL Backup Bundle can
help you conserve enough office hours for DBA training aplenty. Be an
Exceptional DBA and download your free trial now.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75646

How can you save money from your IT budget every working day?
"I have just purchased SQL Compare and within a few minutes it has saved me a
couple of days of tedious, error prone work." Gordon Wallace, Comtass
Solutions. Download a free 14-day trial.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75647

TECH NEWS : THE LIGHTER SIDE
----------------------------
INITIATING A PROJECT WITH A STRATEGY ONE-PAGER - One pagers' are not written to
inform the reader but to protect the writer, so, in order to understand the
reality of what is being proposed, you have to read between the lies. 'One
pagers' should be obfuscated. to this end, they have a beginning, a muddle, and
an end....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75652

TECH NEWS : GENERAL INTEREST
----------------------------
AN APPROXIMATE MEASURE OF TECHNICAL DEBT - When programmers complain about the
quality of the code, they often ignore them. "We're behind schedule already!"
they cry, brandishing their whips. "Row faster!" And the poor programmers work
as hard they can, taking more shortcuts, incurring more debt, and making things
even worse....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75653

DO YOU HAVE TO KNOW ENGLISH TO BE A PROGRAMMER?  - Most articles, knowledge
bases, books and so on are in English, so if you want to read up on something
in depth, you need to have at least basic reading skills in English.
Translating tooltips inside Visual Studio could end up causing confusion for at
least new developers, as what they would see on-screen potentially did not
match up with what the tutorial/book they were following....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75654

TECH NEWS : SECURITY
--------------------
AN ALGORITHM WITH NO SECRETS  - Cryptographers from around the world have laid
their best work on the line in a contest to find a new algorithm that will
become a critical part of future communications across the Internet. The
winning code will become a building block of a wide variety of Internet
protocols, including those used to safeguard communications between banks and
their customers. ...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75655

TECH NEWS : GENERAL INTEREST
----------------------------
CLOUD COMPUTING AND DATA SECURITY: KNOW THE RISKS - Data is usually at risk
when it's in transit. So make sure that your organization's data is encrypted
at all phases. Even if someone should intercept data while it's in transit on
the Web, proper encryption will make sure the data stays secure and
confidential. If not encrypted, the data can be intercepted at a variety of
points along the way....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75656

MANY WORKING MILLENNIALS ARE UNAWARE OF OR IGNORING CORPORATE IT RULES - More
than half of the working millennials polled for an Accenture Ltd. study said
that they were either unaware of their companies' IT policies or unwilling to
follow them.

Accenture surveyed 400 members of the millennial generation -- those aged 14 to
27 -- to determine their technology needs and desires. ...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75657

U.S. IT SPENDING FORECAST WORST SINCE 2001 -   Forty-five percent of
respondents to a new survey from ChangeWave Research said that their companies
will spend less money or nothing at all on IT during the first quarter of 2009.
That's the highest percentage of ChangeWave survey respondents to answer that
way since 2001....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75658

TECH NEWS : SECURITY
--------------------
MASSACHUSETTS EXTENDS COMPLIANCE DEADLINE ON NEW DATA-ENCRYPTION RULES -
Companies that have to comply with tough new regulations mandating the use of
encryption and other security controls for protecting the personal data of
Massachusetts residents are being given more time to do so....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75659

SQL SERVER NEWS
---------------
MICROSOFT SQL DATA SERVICES PUBLIC CTP ANNOUNCED  - The Microsoft SQL Data
Services public CTP has been announced.
It offers distributed database services in the cloud for storing and processing
relational queries. SDS can help you develop and provision new applications
quickly with REST and SOAP based web protocols. The services are built on
robust SQL Server database and Windows Server technologies, providing high
availability and security....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75660

KILIMANJARO TO DELIVER APPLICATION AND MULTI-SERVER MANAGEMENT - Through the
introduction of a new application model and central management point,
organizations will be able to immediately discover and manage SQL Server
instances and define deployment policies to simplify database management,
optimize resources, streamline collaboration, and help efficiently manage at
scale....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75661

SQL SERVER NEWS : SECURITY
--------------------------
SQL SERVER 2008 COMPLIANCE GUIDE - This paper provides an overview of how to
approach compliance for the management of the SQL Server database. It describes
the compliance-related features of SQL Server 2008 and how to apply them to IT
controls. This paper includes tips and scripts to help jump-start compliance
solution development....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75662

SQL SERVER NEWS
---------------
THOSE KIDS WON'T EAT ANYTHING! - I decided to make a worksheet listing foods
they these kids will eat and won't eat.  I used attributes of Color, Type, and
Processed, along with a column indicating whether or not they will actually eat
the food.  Of course, I had to answer to myself disturbing questions such as
"what color are hot dogs?", but I got through it. I can access the Prediction
Calculator from any web-enabled device - like my phone, which I can carry
around the grocery store and determine that my kids will eat ....
brown.....processed.....meat.... oh yay.......
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75663

 MICROSOFT HIRES NOTED DATABASE RESEARCHER TO HELP SCALE SQL SERVER - On
Wednesday, Microsoft demonstrated a feature that will let database
administrators manage pools of hundreds of SQL Server databases at a time.

For DeWitt, the lab is an opportunity to do the same sort of research he has
done for the past 32 years, but also see those results make their way into
products, namely SQL Server, in a much shorter time frame. ...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75664

MICROSOFT NEWS
--------------
MICROSOFT TO LAUNCH IE8 IN '09; RC DUE OUT IN Q1 - We want the technical
community of people and organizations interested in web browsers to take this
update as a strong signal that IE8 is effectively complete and done....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75665

BLOGS : ADMINISTRATION
----------------------
UNDER THE HOOD WITH DISABLING TDE - The TDE feature has been enabled and the
database is now protected.
A few weeks later the decision to remove TDE has been mysteriously reached and
communicated to you... or immediately after implementing TDE and closer
consideration the database that was to be encrypted was not the one in which it
has been implemented. Regardless of the cause, it is time to reverse the
actions that were taken to implement TDE....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75666

BLOGS : LINQ
------------
ENTITY FRAMEWORK TUTORIALS CONSOLIDATED  - In a bid to know more about the
Entity Framework I recently consolidated Julie’s series of posts into a single
PDF for ease of reading. I have also earmarked Julie’s book to take the
learning to the next level and I sincerely hope I am won over by the product....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75667

BLOGS : T-SQL
-------------
DEFENSIVE DATABASE PROGRAMMING: FUN WITH CHANGING COLUMN WIDTHS.  - changing
column widths.
In Transact SQL you can assign a 10-character value to a VARCHAR(5) variable.
The value will be silently truncated without raising an error. Because of this
behavior it may be very easy to make mistakes.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75668

BLOGS : SECURITY AND AUDITING
-----------------------------
TOP 10 SECURE CODING PRACTICES  - ...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75669

BLOGS : SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT
----------------------------
POWERGUI 1.5.3 IS OUT - this is a bugfix release to the Powershell IDE which we
wanted to have between now and  1.6 Major fixes in 1.5.3 include much improved
“Output” pane in the editor which is basically a fully functional
Immediate/PowerShell console window you can use while debugging your scripts:...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75670

BLOGS : HIGH AVAILABILITY/DISASTER RECOVERY
SIX FAILOVER CLUSTERING BENEFITS REALIZED FROM MIGRATING TO SQL SERVER 2008 -
SQL Server 2008 failover clustering introduces several supportability,
reliability, and availability improvements. The following list details the more
significant and immediate benefits of making the move to SQL Server 2008
Failover Clustering....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75671

BLOGS : SPATIAL DATA
--------------------
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION: HOW DO I LOAD SHAPEFILES? - Microsoft has not
produced a shapefile loader (or exporter) for SQL Server 2008.  If this is
important to you, here’s the Connect item to hit. ...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75672

BLOGS : LINQ
------------
STEALING FROM YOUR CLIENT  - You take an object from the database and send it
to the presentation layer, some time later, you get the object from the
presentation layer and persist it to the database again. There is a whole host
of bad practices and really bad design decisions that are implicit in the
problem statement, but we will leave that alone for now.

This is still a pretty common scenario, and it is more than reasonable that you
would want your data access approach to support this....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75673

ARTICLES : ADMINISTRATION
-------------------------
RESTORE SQL SERVER TO AN EARLIER VERSION - It’s a simple matter to restore SQL
Server backups to later versions, in fact you don’t need to do anything
different but what about the other way around?

I first got caught out with this  back in the days of SQL Server 7 and 2000,
and the basic answer is the same today for SQL Server 2008 as it was then – you
can’t restore a backup from a newer version of SQL Server to an older one.
Attach and detach will also fail.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/links/525242/75674

ADMINISTRATIVE
--------------
To be removed from this list, send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Many
people have issues with sending plain text emails or their from address is
slightly different than their reply to address. If you have any problems
leaving the list, please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Note: This is not the SQLServerCentral.com daily newsletter list. If you want
to be removed from that list, you can change your profile or follow the
instructions on that list.
-----
This transmission is ©2008 Red Gate Software Ltd. All rights reserved. Contact:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]