The portable C back end isn’t working at the moment, and none of us has spent
the time to get it working at the moment.

There is a backend for aarch64 on HEAD.  It will be in the next release, which
I hope to get out in the next few months.  But my time is limited and there are
still quite a few things to do before the release, so no promises.  If you want
to run off HEAD you can bootstrap using svm or cross-compiling from x86 if you
have that kind of machine. Taylor posted cross-compiling instructions recently
in answer to another question.