Thank you, Stefan!

After getting your reply I managed to port the legacy registration plugins
into MITK 2018 along with activating the MatchPoint plugins which allowed
me to compare them side by side within the same application.

My impression is (could be wrong of course) that while the MatchPoint suite
is definitely a "bleeding edge", the legacy one provides more cohesive user
experience. My reasoning is that the legacy one is workflow oriented (i.e.
user selects type of registration, then registration algorithm, then
perform necessary interactive actions) while the MatchPoint spreads
functionality over unconnected (from user point of view) plugins and
delegate some functionality to the external (PointSetInteraction) unrelated
plugin. The ability to reuse the registration results in the MatchPoint
suite is very impressive though.

So I would think both legacy and the MatchPoint have their merits.

Best,

Alex

P.S.

Just in case somebody wants to port the legasy registration plugin into
MITK 2018, here are the steps:

(1)  Copy the following modules from MITK 2016/Modules into MITK
2018/Modules: DeformableRegistration, DeformableRegistrationUI,
RigidRegistration, RigidRegistrationUI.

(2)  In MITK 2018/Modules/ModulesList.cmake, insert the following lines
after "Camera Calibration" line:
  RigidRegistration
  RigidRegistrationUI
  DeformableRegistration
  DeformableRegistrationUI

(3) Copy MITK 2016/Plugin/org.mitk.gui.qt.registration  into MITK
2018/Plugin/org.mitk.gui.qt.registration

(4) In MITK
2018/Plugin/org.mitk.gui.qt.registration/QmitkPointBasedRegistrationView.cpp,
in void QmitkPointBasedRegistrationView::CreateQtPartControl(QWidget*
parent) method, comment out the lines 287 and 288 which lead to crash when
PointBasedRegistration plugin is activated (the m_MultiWidget is set in
another place anyway):

  //Controls.m_FixedPointListWidget->SetMultiWidget( m_MultiWidget );
  //m_Controls.m_MovingPointListWidget->SetMultiWidget( m_MultiWidget );

(4) Check MITK 2018/Plugin/org.mitk.gui.qt.registration/plugin.xml file for
presence of all three registration plugins (i.e. PointBasedRegistration,
RigidRegistration and DeformableRegistration) and include the missing ones
if necessary (in my case the DeformableRegistration was missing)