2012/4/21 Sean M. Pappalardo - D.J. Pegasus <spappala...@mixxx.org>
> We plan to overhaul the skin/UI engine anyway, so this rewrite can be part of
> it.

Glad to hear that.

> Hopefully Daniel Lindenfelser will reply here, since he's been working on a
> QML-based UI for Mixxx in this code branch:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~dan-lin/mixxx/features_qml
>
> I'm pretty sure it still uses separate QGLWidgets for the waveforms and
> spinnies, but hopefully he can tell us if it's yet possible for QML to render
> objects into GLwidgets or not, and if so, how much work would be involved in
> converting his branch to do so.

Settings a GL viewport for a QDeclarativeView is the way to in QML to
be able to render in 'NativePainting' (OpenGl) mode. The only
out-of-the box part of QML doing this is the 'ShaderEffectItem' as far
as I know and it's part of some labs stuff of both Qt 4.8 and 5.0.
It's should be a good start point for us if we want to go there. It
won't be a problem .

> I think this is generally a good architecture move because it'll make
> our UI significantly more portable. (eg. The library can be a native /
> Qt widget, but everything else could just be done with OpenGL.) Don't
> worry about the skins for now either, we can design them around any
> contraints we end up with.
>
> What do you think?

I can't agree more. I think mixxx is at point where graphical
performance matter.
I guess as soon as the 1.11 is accepted I can start messing around with that.

I have an other proposal (involving ControlObject management) that I
want to discuss with you guys. Problem is it take me so long to write
a "pseudo decent" e-mail in English that I don't even know how I will
be able to explain my point. But it'll will have an important
relationship with global UI rending/UI inputs/Qt events performance.

Regards,

Vrince

http://p.sf.net/sfu/Boundary-d2dvs2