I agree that 80 columns is restrictive with 4-space tabs.  I personally
like a variant of the Go formatting rules, which are basically "don't
worry about line length".  I aim for 100, but if something is a few
characters over, I let it go long.  No one wants to scroll horizontally,
but I also dislike heavily-wrapped statements.

That said, I do like clang-format a lot, and I have eclipse set up to
use it.  I can just push ctrl-shift-f on any line, and it formats it for
me.  That way I can just write a messy line without regard for style,
then let the software format it and add line breaks.  Once we pick a set
of clang settings, I don't want to do a lot of haggling about where
clang fails -- just let it do what it wants and move on.  I can live
with 80 or whatever others prefer